Colourful vegetables, sesame rice noodles and a delicious and healthy peanut sauce, makes this noodle bowl is a hit with adults and kids alike. Assemble the bowls before serving or if you have kids who love to help out let everyone make their own. Serve with your favourite hot sauce, if your so desire.
4 ounces bean thread noodles (see Tip) or thin rice noodles
1 tablespoon toasted (dark) sesame oil
24 asparagus spears, trimmed
2 cups shredded green or napa cabbage
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 cup thinly sliced beets
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
½ cup smooth natural peanut butter
¼ cup reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
To prepare noodle bowl: Prepare noodles according to package directions. Rinse well with cold water. Toss with sesame oil.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Place a medium bowl of ice water next to the stove. Cook asparagus in the boiling water for 30 seconds, then transfer to the ice water. Drain well, pat dry and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine cabbage, basil, mint and rice vinegar in a medium bowl.
- Divide the noodles among4 bowls. Top each bowl with ½ cup of the cabbage mixture, some asparagus, carrot, beet and red and yellow bell pepper.
- To prepare sauce: Whisk peanut butter, tamari (or soy sauce), water, rice vinegar, honey, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle ¼ cup sauce over each bowl.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate sauce for up to 2 days.Tips: Bean Thread Noodles: Look for bean thread noodles, sometimes labeled vermicelli, mung bean or cellophane noodles, in the Asian section of large supermarkets or at an Asian market.People with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity should use soy sauces that are labeled “gluten-free,” as soy sauce may contain wheat or other gluten-containing sweeteners and flavours.
Per serving (1 cup noodles, 2 cups veggies, 1/4 cup peanut sauce): 434 calories; 20 g fat(3 g sat); 8 g fiber; 51 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 214 mcg folate; 0 cholesterol; 13 g sugars; 4 g added sugars; 102 mg vitamin C; 68 mg calcium; 714 mg sodium;